Friday, December 4, 2009

Eating is the Reason for the Season

Well, it's MY reason anyway. Actually it would be more appropriate to say Eating is the Reason for my Ass Expansion.

Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is coming up, so we are still in the grip of all of the holiday deliciousness. Until January 1st diet still means die-with-a-t around here.

My very, very favorite thing to make this time of year is sweet potato casserole. I never really make it unless it's for a holiday meal. It's so yummy that I don't even care that it makes me gain five pounds just by LOOKING at it. Mmmmmm...sweet potatoes, how I love you. If I didn't add so much sugar and butter then this might be considered borderline healthy, but who really wants healthy food this time of year? The answer: not me. Probably not you, either.

Now I'll tell you how to make sweet potato casserole, a la magpie.
Ok, that sounds gross. Casserole with magpies. Ugh. Let's call it Magpie's Fabulicious Sweet Potato Casserole. That sounds much better!

Magpie's Fabulicious Sweet Potato Casserole
First you start with sweet potatoes, duh. You need 3 cups of cooked, mashed taters. You can peel 'em and boil 'em, or use leftover baked ones, or you can microwave then in their skins and peel afterwards. Any way you do it, you gotta end up with 3 whole cups, mashed.

While you're preparing your sweetay-toes (that's what my youngest calls them), go ahead and preheat the oven to 350.

Mix together:
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter (yeah, for real...a 1/2 cup of BUTTER. I told you it was yummy)
1/3 cup milk (you can use any kind of milk, but it comes out better if you use 2% or whole milk. Don't mess with that fat free nonsense)
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Spread all of that deliciousness in a 9x13 glass casserole dish. Now it's time to make the topping!

Mix together:
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts

Now sprinkle the topping evenly over the casserole and bake the whole thing for about 45 minutes.


Next, go buy a pair of these:



The bigger the better. I like to call these dinnerpants. As in, I only wear them when my dinner necessitates an elastic waist on my pants. Just in case you were wondering, any dinner with this casserole is considered a dinnerpants meal.

I don't have any pictures of this lovely treat because the last time I made it was at Thanksgiving. I'll take some pictures next time. Enjoy!

This is for my December 4th EtsyBloggers Blog Carnival, but it made me really hungry.

Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Thanks for the recipe! I declared to wear stretchy pants and eat nothing but goodies starting October 1st. I have gained 7 lbs! Woooot! :) I loooove me some holiday treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been laying on the couch, taking steroids and eating for a week...I shudder to think how many pounds I have gained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! People get all religious or radical about the holidays, I hear-- but in my family the only cause for dissension is if someone forgets to bring their signature dish. I don't care what my cousins believe, but I believe they'd better have their homemade salsa there!;)

    If I could eat sweet potatoes, I bet this would be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds good thanks for the post, I have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  5. The holidays just wouldn't be the same without all the delicious food!!!

    Love the dinnerpants...LOL!!! Gonna have to get me some of those this year :)

    Welcome to the EtsyBloggers Team!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! dinnerpants!
    delicious sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. It is SO yummy!! Also, that topping is good to use on banana bread too!

    Splendid Little Stars - I'm a Margaret, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am drooling! That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails